Thursday, August 14, 2008

Back to Music Education

When I was in high school, a lot of people would ask what I want to do in life. I knew I would be heading to college (that was a given for me), but I wasn't quite sure what I would do there. But the last couple of years in high school helped steer me in the direction of teaching - and specifically teaching music.

College arrived and I loved it. I loved the music education, I loved the activities (BSU), I loved the atmosphere. Unfortunately I hit a speed bump in the last year or so of college life - which changed things a bit. Fortunately, I was still able to get a degree in music. And the best thing was that it helped direct us towards serving in ministry in the Northwest. (Have we mentioned we love the Northwest?)

A few years of college ministry, a couple of church plants, and a seminary degree later, we are still loving the Northwest and excited about what the next chapter holds.

Well, I am excited to say that we know a little more of what that will look like. Starting this Fall, I'll be teaching music at Cascade Christian Schools at the Fredrickson Elementary campus. Elementary music! I love it! 250 kids, K-6. We're going to have a blast! One of the really cool parts will be working with the worship team for chapel services. I love developing worship leaders - and this is starting at the very beginning. It's going to be a great year!

I feel that in a lot of ways, I'm coming full circle. Getting back into one of the things I love, while still being able to serve God in the local church as well. I'm excited & we'll keep you updated on how things go.

4 comments:

Sara Sandefur said...

Congratulations! That sounds like a great fit for you. It's such a blessing to get to use the gifts God has given. I hope it goes really well!

Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Wow this is awesome news! Congratulations :0). I am sure you will love it there and what a lucky bunch of kids!

Unknown said...

That is fantastic! You will be so good at teaching music, exposing kids to it and getting them excited about it. I am so thankful for some good music teachers/choir directors when I was that age and older. Music is like breathing, and I can't imagine what it would have been like not to have the opportunities I had. I know God will really use you to develop worship leaders too. Any time you face problems or discouragement, just know that He is working through you to glorify Himself and touch the lives of many people. And hey, we miss you guys around here! :-)

michael said...

Thanks for the encouragement!