Friday, October 10, 2008

Transplant Success!!

Over the summer, we picked up a little Mac Mini for our everyday computer. It has no doubt been one of my favorite computers. I love it's size (picture four Ramen noodle packs stacked together), the fact that it can run both Apple's OS-X & Windows XP, the speed at which it wakes up from sleeping (2 seconds max!), and the fact that it shares the name of a very cool car!

Unfortunately, we had picked this little beaut. up from Craig's List (read: slightly broken in). Apparently the previous owner had opened Mac up a bit and didn't get him put back together 100%. Sometimes the audio would crackle & cut out. And the wireless didn't get nearly as good of a signal as it should have. And there were a few parts - memory & hard drive - that I had been itching to upgrade. So with my Amazon store going so well, I took some of the proceeds and bought the upgrades. Last night I sat down to work.

Never before have I had to open a computer with a putty knife, but I guess there's a first time for everything. Once I got it open, there were a few of the usual steps involved with switching out memory & hard drives (I'll save you the boredom). Needless to say, things went well - and while I was in there, I reconnected a few cables that had gotten loose.

After reassembling, I plugged in my external hard drive (Time Machine backup), ran the setup program and now things are running perfectly. Not only that, but Time Machine maintained all my settings - it's like I'm l0oking at the exact same computer - just with new insides!

Brain transplant & heart valve replacement, success! Mac feels like a new computer.

3 comments:

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Congratulations...

...and...

...Amazon Store?? What ya selling?

michael said...

Ahhh...the Amazon Store. Yes, I should probably write a post about that one. Something I sort of stumbled into, but it's been really great. Some of the books I'm selling for a friend (the "new" books), and the rest are ones I've picked up here and there.

I'll see about blogging soon about it. In the meantime, you can check out the link here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=A2OELEH5CUDJKD

Mike 'n' Cindy Brinkerhoff said...

Cool! Thanks for the link.